I couldn’t find my recipe for garbanzo bean soup, so I read lots of recipes on the Internet and pulled a few lentil soup recipes. I remembered some of the basic ingredients and processes, so I made my own version and it came out quite well.
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cans garbanzo beans
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
32 oz. chicken broth, low sodium
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ginger, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons dried basil or a few fresh leaves
dash of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese rind, optional
1 cup watercress or spinach, stems removed
1. Heat oil in large saucepan or dutch oven. Add onions and cook until soft.
2. Add in red pepper and cook until soft.
3. Add garlic and ginger and cook for a few more minutes.
4. Add cumin, salt, pepper, red pepper and basil.
5. Add chicken broth, garbanzo beans and cheese rind. Cook for 1 hour on low heat.
6. Let soup cool. Whip with immersion blender or mix in blender. Stop when mixture is still a little chunky.
7. Re-heat soup, add watercress or spinach and serve.
Yes, the picture is upside down 🙂